I was at a friends house the other night and the topic of LED lights and toxins came up. He showed me printout from Science Daily showing that LED lights are toxic. This came up because a CFL light he was using broke and needed to be cleaned up.
I read the article and something struck me as being peculiar. When I got home I looked it up on the internet and it hit me. There was something at the bottom of the article that makes me pause…
The above story is reprinted (with editorial adaptations by ScienceDaily staff) from materials provided by University of California – Irvine.
Editorial adaptations. This means the article was changed in some way to reflect some desired result by the editorial staff. Exactly what I cannot say.
After following the links and reading the article again here is what I found…
- The original research is referencing high output LED’s only – like those used in traffic lights
- The chemical amount of toxins is very low per kilogram – on the order of .4%
- LED’s weigh on the order of milligrams – if that much – so we are talking in the order of nanograms per LED
- The toxins are locked into the physical structure of the LED and are not released if the LED bulb should break
So, yes, LED’s contain elements that are toxic. However, even if you were to eat an LED chances are very likely that you would not get sick because it is so small and the body does not know how to digest them.
I do know this tho’…
I sat here writing this with an LED bulb that draws .9 watts – a great source for task lighting.