Waking Up: Over 30 Perspectives on Spiritual Awakening—What Does It Really Mean?
What does it really mean to raise your consciousness? Does it happen in an instant, or is it more of a gradual process? Does awakening perfect all aspects of your personality? Are people beginning to wake up more now than ever before? Today these questions are of great importance to many, hearing a myriad of perspectives is enlightening.
Through a series of interviews with spiritual teachers, Waking Up examines some of the enigmas that seekers have been investigating for millennia.
A growing number of people are beginning to see things in a radically different way. In other words, more and more of us are starting to “wake up” spiritually—to discover an entirely new identity beyond the usual sense of who we think we are.
Waking Up is a fascinating glimpse into different awakening experiences! Mind opening to many more possibilities that reveal how our views, of which you may be unaware, could be limited and pre-determined by your associations with past traditions and associations.
But what is spiritual awakening, really?
How does it happen—and what are the consequences? Is it possible to attune to this dimension of experience at any moment?
In Waking Up, Sounds True publisher and founder Tami Simon speaks with 34 of today’s leading authors and teachers about their personal understanding of spiritual awakening—how it takes place, what changes (and what doesn’t), and how their experiences can inspire and inform our own realization.
Tami Simon does an outstanding job interviewing the speakers and brings much clarity to the topics spoken about, she synchronically has a way of asking the questions that the listener wants and needs to hear.
Waking Up Topics and Guests:
- “The Death of the Little Me” with Eckhart Tolle, author of The Power of Now
- “Dropping the Mind into the Heart” with Cynthia Bourgeault, author of Love Is Stronger Than Death
- “Aware of Awareness” with Peter Fenner, author of Radiant Mind
- “Awake, Yes, But Keep Practicing” with Sally Kempton, author of Meditation for the Love of It
- “Polymorphous Aliveness” with Rabbi Rami Shapiro, author of The Sacred Art of Lovingkindness
- “There Is No End to How We Explore True Nature” with Hameed Ali (aka A.H. Almaas), author of Runaway Realization
- “The Neuroscience of Awakening,” with Rick Hanson, coauthor of Buddha’s Brain
- “Removing the Armor of the Heart” with Chris Grosso, author of Indie Spiritualist
- “Nothing Special” with Thomas Moore, author of Care of the Soul
- “Loving Ourselves into Freedom” with Tara Brach, author of Radical Acceptance
- “Recognizing Your Original Face” with Ken Wilber, author of A Brief History of Everything
- “The Call of Aliveness” with Mark Nepo, author of The Book of Awakening
- “The Process of Continual Awakening” with Richard Freeman, author of The Mirror of Yoga
- “Divinized and Humanized” with David Frenette, author of The Path of Centering Prayer
- “Enlightenment Is Nothing but the Development of a New Habit” with Bentinho
- “Discovering Happiness Independent of Conditions” with Shinzen Young, author of Break Through Pain
- “The Mandala of Awakening” with Jack Kornfield, author of A Lamp in the Darkness
- “Remembering” with Sera Beak, author of Red, Hot & Holy
- “Dying into the Light” with Andrew Harvey, author of Radical Passion
- “One with the Infinite” with Michael Bernard Beckwith, author of Life Visioning
- “Directness with Life” with Thomas Hübl, author of Sharing the Presence
- “Life Is Here: Awakening Is Not a Destination” with Jeff Foster, author of The Deepest Acceptance
- “Whatever Arises, Love That” with Matt Kahn, author of Whatever Arises, Love That
- “Opening Our Whole Being to Fundamental Consciousness” with Judith Blackstone, author of Belonging Here
- “Waking Up, Waking Down, and Waking Out” with John J. Prendergast, author of In Touch
- “Saying Yes to Being Found” with Richard Rohr, author of Eager to Love
- “Shifting to the Infinite Lifestyle” with Robert Thurman, author of Essential Tibetan Buddhism
- “Stopping in Our Tracks—The Turning Point of a Lifetime” with Gangaji, author of The Diamond in Your Pocket
- “Being a Light in the World” with Sandra Ingerman, author of Walking in Light
- “Remembering Our True Nature As the Ground of Being” with Tsultrim Allione, author of Feeding Your Demons
- “A Freedom That Leaves Nothing Out” with Reginald A. Ray, author of Touching Enlightenment
- “Small Glimpses, Many Times” with Loch Kelly, author of Shift into Freedom
- “A Radical Shift in Identity” with Adyashanti, author of Falling into Grace
- “What Is Stillness?” with Mukti, author of The Self in Full Bloom
A radical shift in identity. The direct experience of unity with all things. Unexplainable joy and a blissful ease of being. These are just some of the ways in which people have described the experience of spiritual awakening. But is it the same for everyone? What if we’ve only had glimpses of “waking up”? How does the process unfold—and does it end? Join others in Waking Up for an exciting investigation of these profound questions and more.
Transparency & Appreciation: I want all of my readers to know that I do provide links on this blog to other businesses that sell products that I use and love, I will never post a link to anything that is inconsistent with my ideology.
When you do click on a link to a business that I have referred you to and you make a purchase, I will earn a small commission – the price to you though is always their regular price, or in some instances a special offer price.
When you do make a purchase you are showing me that you support my efforts, time and expenses… I am very grateful to those who have both chosen to come by to read what I have written, and at times utilize my referral of a service or product that I completely believe in.
Thank you very much!
This site does not provide medical advice. My purpose is to share experiences and information as I seek to improve the health of my family through a real food and natural lifestyle. Any statements or claims about the possible health benefits conferred by any foods or supplements have not been evaluated by the Food & Drug Administration and are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.